Friday, September 27, 2013

Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Icing

l
Yesterday I spent too much time on Pinterest looking at cakes and this is what resulted...


I made a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing, and then used my new M1 piping tip to make the rosettes! For the cake, I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe, and for the icing I used a basic vanilla buttercream. 

To make the buttercream you will need:
  • 2 sticks BUTTER, softened
  • 3 cups POWDERED SUGAR, sifted
  • 1/8 tsp SALT
  • 1 Tbs VANILLA EXTRACT
  • 2 Tbs MILK or HEAVY CREAM

In an electric mixer, cream the butter using the paddle attachment. Once the butter is smooth, turn the mixer down to a low speed and start adding the powdered sugar. After all of the powdered sugar has been added, turn the mixer up to medium speed and add the salt and vanilla into the mixer. Add the heavy cream and continue mixing for 3 minutes. If the icing is too stiff, add some more cream. If the icing is not thick enough, add more powdered sugar.

I made another small cake since it is just for my husband and me. I made a half batch of the cake batter and baked it in three small Pyrex dishes. 


But then only used two of the layers because the cake would have been too tall to fit in my cake stand if I had used all three...


 After the cake was baked I got down to the fun part...DECORATING!


 Finished product!


One more picture because I'm excited...


Cutting the cake!





Vanilla Buttercream

Ingredients:

Vanilla Buttercream:
  • 2 sticks BUTTER, softened
  • 3 cups POWDERED SUGAR, sifted
  • 1/8 tsp SALT
  • 1 Tbs VANILLA EXTRACT
  • 2 Tbs MILK or HEAVY CREAM

      Directions:

      Vanilla Buttercream:
      1. In an electric mixer, cream the butter using the paddle attachment
      2. Once the butter is smooth, turn the mixer down to a low speed and start adding the powdered sugar. 
      3. After all of the powdered sugar has been added, turn the mixer up to medium speed and add the salt and vanilla into the mixer. 
      4. Add the heavy cream and continue mixing for 3 minutes
      5. If the icing is too stiff, add some more cream. If the icing is not thick enough, add more powdered sugar.


      No comments:

      Post a Comment