Thursday, February 27, 2014

Iced Mocha



Lately I have been on the lookout for a good iced coffee and I think that I have found it in this recipe! I will start off by admitting that I am a little bit of a wimp when it comes to coffee. I tend to go for the sweet coffee drinks that are probably more sugar than coffee. I'm working on it though!

This iced mocha is delicious and I think it has a good balance of coffee flavor and sweetness (I even toned down the sweetness from the original recipe! I'm so proud of myself!) It is extremely easy to adapt this recipe to your taste by varying how much coffee, sugar, or milk you add! Let loose, play mad scientist, and experiment! I love this recipe because I can make it ahead of time and drink on it for a week, but it would also be great to make for a party!

To take this drink up a notch, I made some coffee ice cubes! I did this by freezing brewed coffee in an ice tray. It's super easy and prevents your coffee from getting watered down as the ice melts!


To make just under 3 quarts of this delicious treat you will need:
  • 1/3 cup INSTANT COFFEE GRANULES 
  • 1/2 cup BOILING WATER
  • 1 (14 oz.) can SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK (you could use fat-free to knock off a few calories)
  • 1/2 cup CHOCOLATE SYRUP
  • 3 cups COLD WATER
  • 6 cups MILK (I used 1%, but you could use skim to knock off a few MORE calories)

Start off by putting the coffee into a  medium sized bowl. Next, whisk the 1/2 cup of boiling water into the coffee. (I made a half batch of this iced coffee in the pictures, so that's why it looks like so much less!)


Continue whisking the mixture until all of the coffee has dissolved.


Whisk the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup into the coffee.


Pour the sweetened coffee mixture into your pitcher and stir in the cold water and milk. This is where tasting is important! If the coffee is too sweet add some more milk or water. If it doesn't have enough coffee flavor, dissolve a few tablespoons of the instant coffee in a few tablespoons of boiling water and mix it in.

Once the coffee is to your liking, chill it until it is cold (or just pour it over a glass full of ice) and then serve!






Iced Mocha
Ingredients:
To make just under 3 quarts of this delicious treat you will need:
  • 1/3 cup INSTANT COFFEE GRANULES 
  • 1/2 cup BOILING WATER
  • 1 (14 oz.) can SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK (you could use fat-free to knock off a few calories)
  • 1/2 cup CHOCOLATE SYRUP
  • 3 cups COLD WATER
  • 6 cups MILK (I used 1%, but you could use skim to knock off a few MORE calories)
    Directions:
    1. Start off by putting the coffee into a  medium sized bowl
    2. Next, whisk the 1/2 cup of boiling water into the coffee. Continue whisking the mixture until all of the coffee has dissolved.
    3. Whisk the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup into the coffee.
    4. Pour the sweetened coffee mixture into your pitcher and stir in the cold water and milk. 
    5. This is where tasting is important! If the coffee is too sweet, add some more milk or water. If it doesn't have enough coffee flavor, dissolve a few tablespoons of the instant coffee in a few tablespoons of boiling water and mix it in. 
    6. Once the coffee is to your liking, chill it until it is cold (or just pour it over a glass full of ice) and then serve!





    I adapted my recipe from the following recipe: http://www.loriesmississippikitchen.com/2008/07/iced-mocha-latte.html

    No comments:

    Post a Comment